OYO Rooms, commonly known as OYO, is India’s largest hospitality company, consisting mainly of budget hotels. It was founded in 2013 by Ritesh Agarwal and has since grown to over 8,500 hotels in 337 cities in India, Malaysia, UAE, Nepal, China and Indonesia.
Location – Bangalore
Job Title – Data Analyst
Experience Required – 2-3 Years
Number of Rounds – 4
Round 1 – Written SQL & ExcelTest
There were 30 SQL and MS Excel questions (MCQ) in 30 minutes. The questions were definitely doable. It was mostly around getting the output of the SQL query, some common syntax, and Excel formulas. The cut-off was around 15 in our drive. Some of the questions are given below:-
1. Order of execution of a SQL query?
2. Syntax of ROW_NUMBER() function
SELECT Column_Name, ROW_NUMBER() OVER (ORDER BY Column_To_Order_On DESC) as ROW_NUM
3. What is the syntax of the SUBSTITUTE function in MS Excel?
SUBSTITUTE(text, oldText, newText, [instanceNumber])
4. How to fill a column with “greater than 10” and “less than 10” text, where numbers to compare is in another column?
=IF (Column_Index>10, “Greater than ten, “Less than ten”)
5. Select the correct syntax of VLOOKUP()
=VLOOKUP(lookup_value, table_array, col_index_num, range_lookup)
6. What is the order of precedence in EXCEL formulas?
A. Parenthesis (Brackets)
Multiplication or Division
Addition or Subtraction
7. Find the name of employees starting with ‘C’
SELECT * FROM Employees WHERE EmpName like ‘C%’
8. How to find the second highest salary from an employee table(Most asked question in an interview)
SELECT name, MAX(salary) AS salary
WHERE salary < (SELECT MAX(salary) FROM employee);
9. Difference between HAVING and WHERE command.
Standard Answer below
WHERE clause is used for filtering rows and it applies on each and every row while HAVING clause is used to filter groups in SQL
10. Difference between TRUNCATE and DELETE
Standard Answer below
The DROP command removes a table from the database. All the tables’ rows, indexes, and privileges will also be removed. … DROP and TRUNCATE are DDL commands, whereas DELETE is a DML command. DELETE operations can be rolled back (undone), while DROP and TRUNCATE operations cannot be rolled back.
Round 2 – Case Study round (Non-Elimination Round)
For OyoRooms Case study, do visit this page
Round 3 – Technical Interview (Python and Machine Learning)
In this round, the questions were mostly around my project and the project for which the team is recruiting. My interview was mostly around Supervised Learning part of Data Science. Following questions were asked, I would suggest you look for answers on this page.
1. What is Supervised Learning?
2. What is reinforcement learning?
3. Example of Supervised Learning algorithm.
4. Difference between Classification and regression.
5. What is Lasso Regression?
6. What is Loss Function?
7. What is Cross Validation?
8. What is regularization?
Since I worked on Python, so some of the syntaxes were asked
9. How to create a train and test data set?
10. What is random_state?
11. How to convert all the exclamation marks in NaN?
12. How to set pipeline in Python?
13. How to create a 5-fold cross-validation method in Python?
from sklearn.model_selection import cross_val_score
reg = linear_model.LinearRegression()
cv_results = cross_val_score(reg,X,y,cv=5)
14. What is a hyperparameter?
You are not expected to answer each and every question, but you should have some knowledge about each of these. The Python questions were asked to see if I am good with the basic coding
Round 4 – HR Round
Basic HR Questions and Salary Negotiation. You can ask questions about the team which you will work for.
Salary Offered – Best in the industry (4.5/5)