Statistics Interview Questions for Data Science
Here we have a set of 17 statistics interview questions that you should understand before your data science interviews. These are very basic Statistics questions which will check your elementary knowledge
15+ correct = Very strong fundamentals
10-15 correct = At par with the concepts, you should try to complete one basic book on statistics
<10 correct = Go through at least one book and cover 80-100 MCQs
Let’s get to the statistics interview questions
1. The mean of a distribution is 20 and the standard deviation is 5. What is the value of the coefficient of variation?
= (Standard Deviation/Mean)*100
2. When the mean is less than mode and median, then what type of distribution is it?
A. Negatively Skewed
3. Which of the following describe the middle part of a group of numbers?
a. Measure of Variability
b. Measure of Central Tendency
c. Measure of Association
d. Measure of Shape
A. Measure of Central Tendency
4. According to the empirical rule, approximately what percent of the data should lie within μ±2σ?
A. 95% of the data should lie between μ±2σ
5. The sum of the deviations about the mean is always:
c. Total Deviation
6. The middle value of an ordered array of numbers is the
- Standard Deviation
Ye toh kar lo 🙂
7. Height of employees is a :-
a. Continuous value
b. Qualitative value
c. Discrete value
d. None of these
8. Which of these is a measure of dispersion:-
d. Standard Deviation
A. Standard deviation is a measure of dispersion
9. The variance of a dataset is 144, what is the Standard Deviation?
A. Standard deviation is square root of Variance, so the Standard deviation will be 12
10. Which of these is a qualitative data:-
a. Weight of family members
c. Feedback of 100 customers about your website
d. Number of burgers sold in India
A. Feedback of 100 customers about your website, rest all are discrete
11. Which of these is/are measure of central tendency?
d. Mid range
e. Mid hinge
A. All of these are measures of central tendency
12. What divides a data set in a group of 10 parts?
d. Standard Deviation
A. Deciles divide the complete dataset in a group of 10 parts
13. What is Mid-range?
A. The arithmetic mean of the maximum and minimum values of a dataset is called mid-range
14. What is Mid hinge?
A. The arithmetic mean of the two quartiles is called mid hinge
15. What is Inter Quartile Range?
a. 0-50th percentile
b. 25-50th percentile
c. 25-75th percentile
d. 50-100th percentile
A. 25-75th percentile is called IQR i.e. Inter Quartile Range
16. What is a cap in a box-plot
A. An upper cap contains the values which falls between 75th percentile and 75th Percentile+1.5*IQR. Similarly lower cap contains the values which falls between 25th Percentile and 25th Percentile-1.5*IQR
17. What values are termed as an outlier in a box plot?
A. Any value which is more than upper cap and less than the lower cap will fall under the definition of an outlier
You can also checkout Data Camp for Statistics courses
If you are wondering how to study and be interview ready for SQL, Python/R, Statistics, Machine Learning, Case Study and Guesstimates, then you can have a look at our 7 min-read article – How to make a career in Data Science
Keep Learning 🙂
The Data Monk