GRE Verbal | Barron’s 800 Destroyed | Day 7
It’s such a beautiful day, I already learnt 30 words and I would like to continue. Let’s learn Barron’s 800 words for GRE in the most layman and simple way
161. emollient – mollify; soothing
At least there are 4 words which means soothing, first of all mollify, then alleviate( to lessen), then eMOLLIent
You gotta remember it this way
162. endemic – belonging to a particular area;
There are few diseases which pertains to a particular area. May be Ebola was one of them
163. Pandemic – Belonging to a range of countries
Corona is a pandemic i.e. a lot of countries are affected by this virus
164. entomology – Scientific study of insects
ent – ANT which is an insect
165. ephemeral – short lived
Ephemeral is short lived and perennial is long lived.
Ephemeral sounds like ‘abhi maral’ i.e. he died just now 😛
166. etymology – Origin of history of a word
Have you read the book Word Power Made Easy by Norman Lewis?
It has a very interesting way to learn words by teaching the origin of each word.
It’s definitely an awesome book to start with
167. euphoria – feeling of extreme happiness
Remember Palash Sen? The singer? Kabhi aana tu meri gali
His band was Euphoria and it used to make me very happy 🙂
168. Euthanasia – Mercy Killing
This is a very very specific term, in Asia Japan is the only country which allows or basically have no law against Mercy killing
Japan is the only country to entertain Euthanasia in Asia
169. Exorcise – to expel evil spirits;
Emily Exorcism, to expel evil spirit from Emily
170. Extrapolation – to estimate the projection for future
It’s an easy term to remember if you are form a Data Science Background.
Linear Regression extrapolate the values for future by using the historic data
171. fervor – warmth and intensity of emotion
fever – warmth of body, so is fervor
These animals will love and hate with equal fervor
172. flora – plants of a region
Flora and Fauna, easy
173. Flux – flowing; a continuous moving
If you are mechanical, then it’s easy for you
in-flux and out-flux
174. forestall – to prevent; delay
fore means ahead of time and the word forestall
He forestalled critics by offering a defense of the project.
175. fresco – a painting done on a wall
What a beautiful word, a very very specific word, much like Euthanasia (mercy killing)
176. fusion – union
Atomic fusion, easy
Don’t know why the words am choosing are easy and frequently used !!
177. garrulous – very talkative
Though it looks like the word is something to do with anger, but remember this word has come along with loquacious as synonyms.
What is the antonym of loquacious ? Laconic
178. gerrymander – to divide an area into voting districts in a way that favours a political party
Another special word with special meaning,
Gotta by-heart like this only
179. gregarious – outgoing; sociable
Most of the extroverts are gregarious in nature
180. guileless – not cunning
So, guile means cunning. Guileless means not cunning and so does the word artless.
I met a girl at the airport who was artless 🙂
181. herbivorous – plant eater
182. homogeneous – uniform in composition
183. hyperbole – purposeful exaggeration for effect
My aunt is a bit of a drama queen, and she uses hyperbole in almost every sentence
Little children often speak almost exclusively in hyperbole.
Hyper – jyada
Bola – Speaking
Hyperbole – jo jyada bolta hai
184. idolatry – idol worship
India follows idolatry
185. impair – to damage; injure
to pair is to grow string, to impair is to damage or injure someone
186. impede – To block; arrest
Remember, the story about arrest?
Arrest is to stop or block and so is impede i.e. it is to stop from exceed
187. ingenuous – Naive and idiot
188. ingenious – Genius
The above two words look the same, the only difference is u vs i
i = Genius
u = Idiot
189. intangible – which can’t be touched
Human feelings are intangible
190. introspective – contemplating one’s own thoughts and feelings
John liked him because he was not introspective or self-critical and quite free from self-consciousness.
There were some easy words and some difficult.
Do keep on revising the words. It’s gonna be a long road, but the end product is definitely rewarding.
Keep Learning 🙂