GRE Verbal | Barron’s 800 Destroyed | Day 1
Aim – 160+ in GRE
Resources – Barron’s 800 and 100 RCs
B.S – It stands for Bullshit Story
1. Abate – to decrease
After a 15 days of lockdown, the Corona virus cases suddenly abated, bringing smile and relief on everyone’s face
B.S. – Ab’ate’ – Since you ate something, it will decrease, right ? Right !! Awesome
2. Bawdy – Dealing with sexual matter in a comical way; obscene
List of Bawdy movies –
-Kya Super Kool Hain Hum
-American Pie(The only Bawdy movie I liked :P)
3. Callous – Having a cruel disregard for others; insensitive
Have you watched the lawyer defending the accused of Nirbhaya Rape Case?
He was defending the rape and his callous comments will make you shiver
4. Daunt – To discourage; demoralize; Fearful
People living in villages are mostly daunted by new technologies
B.S. – Daunt sounds like daatna i.e. to scold and I get demoralised when someone daunts me
5. Ebullient – Overly enthusiastic
I met a girl traveling solo in Goa, she was ebullient and happy.
B.S. – ‘bull’ is always full of energy, and this is the only word in 800 words with ‘bull’ in it. So be ebullient
6. Facetious – Humorous (not seriously meaning what you are saying, mostly in the humorous way); Witty
‘We should spend all our money in Poker and Pizza’ she said facetiously
Facetious means witty and whenever someone says witty, my mind rushes to Shahrukh Khan, the wittiest person on stage
I would like to be a person as facetious as SRK
7. Gainsay – To deny; An opposer
I was home alone, I can dance to my own music, eat what I want and no one is there to gainsay me
8. Halcyon – Happy; Prosperous
cryon? – It makes you happy and if you are happy you are prosperous
9. Iconoclastic – Criticising cherished beliefs
This is interesting, iconoclastic person criticises the common beliefs. It’s like in a community everyone considers drinking alcohol as a taboo, lekin main toh iconoclast hun na, I will drink.
When drunk, my uncle is an iconoclast who insults the belief of others
10.Junta – A group of people
Quite easy, Janta ~ Junta
11. Laconic – Using few words
My favourite, it actually means a person who uses very few words. And the next word in the list is loquacious which means someone who talks a lot.
So your ex- best friend who used to be loquacious is now laconic
12. Loquacious – Talkative
13. Maelstrom – Turmoil
So there is one more term which is associated with turmoil i.e. whirlpool.
Now let’s learn these words.
Whirlpool is famous for it’s washing machine. We have turmoil or rotating movement in washing machine, right?
That motion is like called maelstrom or turmoil
14. Malinger – pretend to be ill in order to escape duty or work.
Do you watch cricket?
recently a photo of Malinga was released where he was topless and had a big belly. How is that possible for a cricketer?
Because he was malinga, he pretended to be ill to escape duty i.e. practice session 😛
15. Maverick – Independent or Unorthodox person
Top Gun Maverick ? So maverick is a type of gun which was one of the most used gun in Counter Strike. If you have a maverick, then you are independent
16. Misogynist – One who hates women
Gynaecologist looks after problems related to women.
Miso means hate (my assumption)
If you hate women – misogynist
If you hate marriage – misogamist
If you hate mankind – misanthrope
If you hate me – Misidiot
17. Misogamist – One who hates marriage
18. Misanthrope – One who hates mankind
19. Nostalgia – Sentimental longing for a past time
Hohoho – This one is easy !!
20. Nugatory – Invalid; of no importance;
It’s a nugatory hypothesis
It’s a nugatory observation
When you look at the word, you already know that word is negative.
This one is tricky, so you can comment a good way to learn this
21. Oligarchy – Type of govt. in which power belongs to only a few leaders
Oligo means very few in Greek
Archy comes from archein which means ‘to rule’
22. Anarchy – A state of disorder
The new bill or the spread of Corona left the country in anarchy
23. Officious – Too helpful (Itna ki irritate kr de/so much so that it irritates the person)
Officious – It’s an official call which gets you furious i.e. itna call krne credit card bechne ko ki even though they are providing a service, they become irritating
Officious – Official + Furious
24. Plummet – to fall or plunge
To drop sharply
The 10 days lock in period plummeted the spread of Corona virus
Plum sounds like someone/something which is too heavy aur wo dham se gir gya..Plummet!!!
25. Penury – Extreme poverty
Matlab pen kharidne ke bhi paise nai thain, he could not face that penury
26. Penchant – Inclination
Easy hai, intuitive hai
I have a penchant for dogs
27. Phlegmatic – Unemotional
Phlegmatic people are good to others, may be soft spoken, but they are unemotional.
Have you watched Leon – The Professional or Bicchoo (Bobby Deol)
The hero was mostly Phlegmatic.
28. Phoenix – a person or thing which is uniquely remarkable in some respect
Phoenix mall ? It’s in Bangalore as well as in Pune – It is remarkable because of it’s size
29. Platonic – Affectionate but not sexual
I simple love specific words, words which are apt. to a particular situation. Platonic is one of those words.
Their relationship is platonic i.e. people can think otherwise that they are dating and are into physical relationship but NOPE, it’s platonic
30. Forestall – To prevent using an advance action
Forestall to check and mate Corona
He forestalled the police
Fore means before in my mind so I always assume it has something to do with an advance action.
You went through 30 words. Which one was your favourite ?
Mine was Laconic, loquacious, and platonic.
If you have a favourite word, do comment below…is se yaad ache se hota hai